Sigma Kappa Sorority
Founded: 1874, at Colby College in Waterville, Maine
Open Motto: One Heart, One Way
Colors: Maroon and Lavender | Jewel: Pearl | Symbols: Dove and Heart | Flower: Wild Purple Violet
Collegiate Chapters: more than 100 in 36 states
Alumnae Chapters: more than 120 in 40 states
Members: over 140,500 women worldwide
Organization Leadership: Sigma Kappa Sorority – National Council
Chapter Development: Leadership consultants visit collegiate chapters, providing them with support and training to help them remain closely aligned with Sigma Kappa’s values. Follow their travels on the Leadership Consultant Blog.
Philanthropies: Gerontology (the study of aging), with a focus on Alzheimer’s disease research and programs directed at improving the lives of older citizens; Inherit the Earth; Maine Sea Coast Mission.
The purpose of Sigma Kappa Sorority is to provide women lifelong opportunities and support for social, intellectual, and spiritual development by bringing women together to positively impact our communities.
Our values: personal growth, friendship, service and loyalty; bound by a promise.
Bound by a Promise to be the best person you can be.
- Social: Demonstrating leadership through behaviors that are in alignment with the Sorority’s values
- Intellectual: Committing to a lifetime of learning and enrichment
- Spiritual: Striving to live a purposeful life
Bound by a Promise to model service and leadership in your communities, especially within Sigma Kappa.
- Offering your time, ideas, or resources to support the common good and assist those in need.
Bound by a Promise to demonstrate sisterhood and friendship throughout life.
- Mutual respect
Bound by a Promise to remain loyal to Sigma Kappa and to living its values in all that you do.
- An unwavering devotion and steadfast allegiance to Sigma Kappa